Thursday, February 12, 2015

Surviving This Cold Season... And A Natural Disaster

I don't know about where you live, but here in California the cold and flu season has been a nightmare. It seems most people I know have been dealing with a fever and a nasty cough for several days. I thought I was going to make it through the season without catching anything. Buuuuuut.... Mr. UC brought the bug home and refusing to quarantine himself, spread his germs all around the house. And low and behold, it was then my turn, but I think I'm finally on the uptick.

But while I was trying to survive this little nasty bug, the mister brought home, I was also preparing for our family to survive a potential natural disaster. Living in California, there is one natural disaster that is constantly in the back of my mind... earthquakes. In the last year, California has had 6,930 earthquakes and add to it, the fact that we live in a flood zone, you can see our need to be prepared. 


 Let me introduce to you a little nine page handbook I created to use as a quick reference guide.

I scoured various websites to gather tidbits I thought would be helpful, because lets be honest, I'm no survival expert. Other than watching a lot of survival shows and commenting, "I would never eat that" or "Nope I'll never visit there," that's as far as my survival expertise goes. I mean seriously, there's no way I'll be in the Costa Rican jungle having to eat half of the creatures they put in their mouths. I am way to scary and way to picky for that. But alas, I do live in earthquake country and in a flood zone.

Sigh, I digress... the bottomline is, I am no expert.  I needed some help preparing this guide now so I don't have to hunt rodents in the future to survive on. Ok ok, now back to the guide.

In this handy little guide; it addresses water storage.
  

It addresses food storage. 
It tells you how to build your own first aid kit.
 

 It also gives suggestions on what to include in your family's survival kit.

And finally it has a checklist of everything I will include in our kit.


A few of the websites suggested creating a survival kit for your car and workplace. The truth of the matter is, you never know where you will be when disaster strikes. You could be in your car and if you live in an area where it snows there's a greater need for you to have a kit in your car.

Also, if you or a family member leaves the home for work, you should have kit at the workplace. The workplace kit should have enough in it to get you home, if you have to walk.

Lastly because many of us have furry four-legged family members, there is a survival kit list for them as well.


As soon as our kits are fully assembled I will share pics with you.

If you are interested in our little guidebook, please click {here} to download.


Till next time...




Previous
Next Post »

Post a Comment