Saturday, May 28, 2011

Master Closet... What Master Closet?

I may have mentioned a time of two that Mr. Uncluttered and I live in a 1920's bungalow, complete with mahogany paneling. However, it's also complete with itty-bitty closets. The master bedroom closet measures 50.5 inches in width, certainly doesn't qualify as a "master closet". When we moved in there was just a single bar and shelf, we have since changed that. But even with the addition of a multi-tiered closet system, there is still not enough room for us to share the space, so I get it all to myself.


Each year I trade out winter clothes for summer clothes, normally its a fairly easy transition. However this year, with fluctuations in temperature and weather, things have gotten waaaaay out of hand. I'm almost too embarrassed to share this with you, but here goes nothing. You see the lower bar on the left, there are actually hanging skirts under there. They're just cover with piles of winter and summer skirts. Shoes are everywhere. So sad. So, so sad.


Take a closer look at that shelf on the right. How can I find anything? I can't, that's the problem. Is that a purse peeking out of there?

Did you notice the "spotlight"? We installed two battery operated, pan-tilt lights, which have two levels of brightness and swivel 360 degrees. They have been my saving grace when getting dressed.

All this has come to an end. Today I took back control of my closet! I cleaned and purged and reorganized everything. I sorted through all my clothes and purged items I had not worn in over a year. The storage space at a premium, I can't afford to store things I'm not going to wear. In total I let go off 30 items: 11 shirts, 1 dress, 8 skirts, 1 sweater, 1 hat, 7 pairs of pants and 2 pairs of shoes .

Now begins the reload. But what's that sticking out like a sore thumb? A 14.5 inch wide white box. I have no idea why its there, but since this is a rental I can take it out, I must work around it. Good thing I don't need a lot of long hanging space.

Ahhhh, much better. I feel like a new woman!

The shoes hiding underneath the skirts are for winter. The black boots in the front need to be repaired, then they will go into hiding also.

These drawers originally started out as two separate Sterlite five drawer units. I pulled them apart and rearranged to suit my needs. They fit perfectly in the awkward space created by the "big white box". Can't afford to have wasted space. Each drawer holds two pair of shoes and is labeled for quick retrieval. The thin top drawer holds flats, if you were wondering.

Before the reorganization I used the drawers for clothing, but using them for shoes allowed me to throw out 10 bulky shoe boxes. Purging feels great! 




Hope you enjoyed the itty-bitty tour. 
 

Till next time.
I'm linking this to:
Newbie Party - Debbiedoos Blogging & Blabbing
Home Decor & Organizing Party - Organize and Decorate Everything

Previous
Next Post »

Post a Comment