Sunday, May 1, 2011

Birdie Storage Box

My poor little 1920's kitchen has 3.5 linear feet of counter space. To top it off its split with 2 feet on the left side of the sink and 1.5 feet on the right. Then add to that, only left side has an outlet. (The kitchen as the last tenant was moving out.)


Since moving in I have added an island to add workspace but with a Keurig coffeemaker, microwave, and toaster oven being used everyday things can get a little cluttered. The right side of the counter has become sort of a catch all space. I desperately needed to rectify the clutter.

In walks this simple box found while scavenging through a consignment shop last week.
As you can see I started to prime it before I stopped to take pictures.

I primed, painted and distressed her, but she was still kinda plain looking. So I painted a silhouette of little birdie and slightly distressed the birdie. To tone down the paint color I added a coat of Howard Restor-A-Finish in Mahogany. You can see the subtle difference between the lid and body of the box.

It very easy to work with Restor-A-Finish. I covered the entire box using a super fine steel wool.

I wiped it off immediately using a clean cloth.

Here she is in her new home, the right side of the kitchen.


I'm using the top as a bread box. Oh, I added some vintage fabric with Mod Podge, making it a cleanable surface.

The drawer is currently holding dish towels, it got a fabric lining also.

As I think about it, this could be storage for just about anything. It could hold toiletries, make-up, paint or sewing supplies... just to name a few. The possibilities are endless.

Thanks for visiting... till next time.

I'm linking this to:
Amaze Me Monday - Dittle Dattle
Meta Monday - BNOTP
Wow Us Wednesday - Savvy Southern Style
Power of Paint - Domestically Speaking
Delightfully Inspiring - Delightful Order
Saturday Nite Special - Funky Junk Interiors

Previous
Next Post »

Post a Comment