Thursday, March 3, 2011

Week 4 - Kitchen Organization

This week Toni has challenged us with getting our kitchens organized.  So for this challenge I focused on one cabinet in particular... the spice cabinet. Its wasn't bad, just not great. You see, I love to cook and try new dishes so I have a lot of spices, 45 to be exact. I need to be able to find and see them all along with all the other "stuff" I have going on in there.


I must say that this is quite a task because my kitchen does have much storage at all. Not much counter space for that matter either... take a look.  This is our kitchen before we moved in. 

What you see is all of the cabinetry in the kitchen... well other than the "pantry", which in 1922 was the original built-in icebox. I made the wide cabinet over the beadboard my spice cabinet, there is now a Monarch stove where the black thing is on the wall. 

On the top shelf we have a basket for baking, brown sugar, bagged tea, and Keurig hot cocoa. There is all a jar of tooth picks for baking and coffee grinds. On the middle shelf are my jars of flour and sugar, baskets for Keurig Tea and Keurig coffee. On the bottom shelf is the plethora of spices, vinegars and sauces.  

I used an expandable 3-tier shelf from Target to display the spices.



I made the labels for the jars and the baskets with scrapbook paper and clear address labels. At the time my Dymo labeler was broken and my P-Touch labeler was out of tape... figures!

This is a 8" square bake pan it holds my everyday items, pepper grinder, salt, long toothpicks, olive oil, etc... 


Hope you were inspired to tackle one of your own cabinets... Check out some other ideas at A Bowl Full of Lemons.


Previous
Next Post »

Post a Comment