Sunday, January 4, 2015

Why I Started Uncluttered Eating In The First Place?

So here we are starting our first full week of 2015 and, from what I hear and read all over social media, people have two primary things on the brain right now... getting healthy and getting organized. I can't say that I don't have the same things on my mind, as well. Today I want to share how I started my uncluttered eating lifestyle.

I'm sure that a lot of you started out the first day of the year with a bang, maybe beginning the journey for a healthier lifestyle, possibly even hitting the gym. Maybe there are a few of you that waited for the first full week. But let's be honest, the most important thing is to get started. It could be the middle of the day, right after eating a huge slice... or five of New York pizza. (Pizza is my favorite food group, so I might be referring to myself. Don't judge me.) Just don't wait for the "perfect moment" because you probably will not find it. You know the ole Nike slogan... just (get your booty up and) do it.  Back in early 2013, I mentioned that I was diagnosed with a plethora of food allergies and Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), receiving that information and a list of restrictions from my Rheumatologist was the catalyst for me to just do it.

I took the first step in March 2013 by eliminating wheat from my diet all together, it causes inflammation in my body. But I didn't... I couldn't stop there, I was on a quest to hopefully heal my body. So began the research into what exactly is RA, other than a potentially debilitating disorder with no cure. What causes it? Is it manageable without prescription medication? I did find out that it's an autoimmune disease and causes the body to have inflammation around the joints.  My turning point came when I stumbled upon the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. If you haven't had the opportunity to watch, you should make the time soon.

In the movie, Joe's journey just confirmed that I could potentially manage my RA with fresh fruits and veggies. Thus, began my life as a raw vegan. I thoroughly researched the pros and cons of living this way. I discovered that there will always be naysayers no matter what issue is being discussed. To me the possibility of living pain free was worth giving it a shot despite the naysayers. Thank goodness I did, it turned out to be the best decision I ever made for my mind and body. Right away, I found I had mental clarity and tons of energy. Then within a few months I noticed that the inflammation in my joints had all but disappeared and with each passing day I felt better and better.

Now to be honest with you, I never did a juice fast, that was not for me. I did juice at times, but my eating habits consisted mainly of green smoothies for breakfast, veggies and almonds for snacks, huge salads for lunch and dinner, along with the occasional gazpacho. This remained my routine for the majority of the spring and summer months.

Some may think that eating this way is more expensive, but if you are not buying meat, you are rarely eating out and you eventually save on doctor visits and medication... aren't you really saving money? During the spring and summer I took full advantage of the farmer's markets. This beautiful bounty was about 4 days worth of food for me alone. (The cheese was for the mister.)

Since I was restricted from working out in the beginning, other than taking the dog for walk, I focused so solely on getting my eating under control. I'm here to tell you, the weight literally melted off. The first picture was taken February 10, 2013 in Marshalls and I became a raw vegan two months later in April 2013. The second picture, with my goofy niece, was taken July 27, 2013 and I had lost about 30 lbs by then.


While the weightloss was a bonus, the most important aspect was my body being well enough to walk around the State Fair with my family for hours and not need a wheelchair because I couldn't use my knees the next day. It was an amazing feeling and felt as if I had gained my life back.

If you have considered trying a raw vegan way of life why not start slowly and replace one meal with a raw one. Such as, smoothies for breakfast or a huge salad for lunch. Its my desire to share the rest of my journey with you, if you choose to follow along.

Till next time...




Previous
Next Post »

Post a Comment